28 July 2014

Blob

It's like a military campaign map. The red blob and the satellite red bits reveal where I have taken photographs in this region of England for the geograph project. I have red squares in other parts of the country too - from Cornwall to Fife and from Liverpool to Kent. I took up this hobby in 2009 since when my blob has grown like a pool of red wine on a laminate floor. The hobby involves several things apart from snapping pictures. There's miles and miles of walking, study of maps and map reading, internet research of the places I have been and the things I have seen. Through geograph I have learnt more than I knew before of England's beauty, its history and its incredible diversity.

Here's two pictures I snapped yesterday afternoon for geograph when Shirley and I were in our local park to attend the Folk Forest music festival - part of the annual Tramlines festival of music in Sheffield:-
Chewing the fat in Endcliffe Park
Songstress Laura James at Folk Forest 2014
Learning about my hobby you will probably think I am sad or mad or both. I don't care. These boots are made for walking and I shall not cease till my red blob has grown to cover all of northern England when I shall become The Regal Master of Up North  instructing my people to build a mighty wall - separating us from the evil excesses of Down South led by Snooty Cameron with his posh army of  Etonian Bankers. And there will be free beer and fish and chips and I'll re-open the coal mines and southern settlers will be given twenty four hours to leave and, and "If I Ruled the World"...

15 comments:

  1. What ever you have it sure looks nasty - spreading all over the place. I hope the doctors can diagnose it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind concern Carol. It could be a computer virus - transferable through blogging!

      Delete
  2. It is a great hobby.
    I wouldn't have the patience for it so good on you.
    Up here Cameron and his posh mates are doing more for the YES campaign than Alex Salmond could ever have dreamt possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the Toryboys in power in Westminster is a big boost for the Yes campaign. If this was a time of Labour government - with many prominent Scottish MPs, the No campaign would have been massively boosted

      Delete
  3. If you are sad or mad or both, then I definitely am, too. Although I don't have an impressive map such as yours to show where from I have taken my photos, if I had one, it would show a blob around the Ludwigsburg area and another one around Ripon, with a few dots here and there sprinkled across France and Italy and a few other places.
    Your ideas for the time when you'll be Regal Master of Up North make me worry I won't have access to what I consider to be my second home. Coming from much further south than Cameron & Co., I doubt I'd be allowed to pass through the narrow gates your wall would possibly have at strategically sensible points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Ruler of Up North, I hereby annoint you as our German ambassador. This important office will allow you free access to Up North and all diplomatic privileges will be available to you such as free access to York Minster and the Yorkshire Pudding Yorkshire Pudding recipe.

      Delete
  4. The Dark Side will never be ruled by a Yorkshireman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember the proles in "1984"? Lancastrians will play a similar role in the republic of UpNorth. I will have a dozen or so Mancs in my palace for exercising the whippets, cleaning my wellies and producing high quality tripe. Scousers will be used exclusively for farming duties and they will need taskmasters who speak their language so an opening for you perhaps Comrade Graham?

      Delete
    2. I thought that when GO wrote 1984 he had Yorkshire in mind for the proles after all they were largely uneducated manual workers (if I recall it correctly - I read it when I was a wee totty thing). We Liverpudlians were the international traders, bankers and insurers (and, of course, slave traders) who provided the hinterland with its markets and wealth. It's just a shame that improved communications left all us Northerners as at the mercy of the South.

      As for you insulting offer YP yer can shut yer gob an' ger on with yer knitting.

      Delete
    3. How did you know that I am knitting you a one piece swimming costume for your birthday - so that you can swim out from the bay at Eagleton? I hope you will like the orange and lime green horizontal striped design that I picked specially for you.

      Delete
    4. Orange and lime green: shades of my Liverpool youth. The old Liverpool joke: what's green on one side, orange on the other and has a while line down the middle? Answer: Netherfield Road North.

      Delete
    5. a white line. I dislike the spillchucker.

      Delete
    6. A white lion? It really must have been a jungle over there.

      Delete
  5. Sad and mad because you are tramping around the countryside taking photos? Never!!

    I have just spent (frittered away) 15 minutes looking through the project website. What a marvellous idea.I will bookmark it and fritter away more time in the future. My random find of the day today is the Fremington Pill seal which astonished me and made me laugh.
    Ms Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is the Fremington Pill seal connected with contraception?....(Moments later) Well if two lovers were in that dinghy with him I think it would be 100% effective!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits