11 December 2012

Ogston

Dec 10.12 Ogston 012
Ogston Reservoir in December. It's a place I had never visited before. It sits in the Amber Valley a couple of miles south west of the former Derbyshire mining village of Clay Cross. Near the southern end of the reservoir is ancient Ogston Hall, hidden by trees and out-of-bounds to the general public. To the east a major railway line sweeps northwards from Derby towards Chesterfield and Sheffield.
gb.3.436000.360000.2011
I planned a six mile walking route that would encircle the reservoir even though there isn't a designated footpath hugging the shoreline. On Temperance Hill just south of Handley I took my trusty walking boots from the car's boot. After passing through Woolley, I came to the delightful hamlet of Brackenfield - just off the map. Its imposing church was extended by the "noble" families who have occupied Ogston Hall long before the little bowl of a valley was flooded back in 1957.

The peaceful and affluent atmosphere of the area was in stark contrast to the post-industrial deprivation of Clay Cross. Two ladies pranced by on chestnut mares as a pair of dimwitted peacocks squawked from a cottage garden.

In northern England in mid-December, evening arrives far too soon and by three o' clock the low sun was already threatening to disappear behind a bank of trees as, returning to my car, I snapped this picture. I'm rather proud of it - so eat your heart out Baxatron!
Dec 10.12 Ogston 054
Ogston Reservoir in mid-December

6 comments:

  1. Nothing can match the beauty that nature provided and you did a great job of capturing one of those moments. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MARY Z I take many pictures and only very occasionally do I download a photo that make me say "wow".
    KELLY As I get older, I appreciate Nature more and more. It's like a therapy for the soul.
    LIBBY You mean - as in "The Ugly Duckling"? Or were you referring to the photo?... Ha! Ha! Only kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I jave never, ever managed to take a decent picture facing into the sun. You will have to give me some tips when you have the time because your example here is stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits