4 September 2007

September

Try to remember the kind of September
When life was slow and oh, so mellow.
Try to remember the kind of September
When grass was green and grain was yellow.
Try to remember the kind of September
When you were a tender and callow fellow,
Try to remember and if you remember then follow.

Some songs seem to echo in your mind. They are always there beneath the surface like old friends. Those words above for example. I researched them this evening. It seems they were written by a lyricist called Tom Jones to a tune by a composer called Harvey Schmidt (both pictured below). Back in 1960 the song "Try to Remember" featured in a new musical I had previously never heard of - "The Fantasticks".

Maybe it's because I have spent most of my adult life working in education that the month of September has a special aura about it. It's the end of the summer and I'm back at work. There's a long dark tunnel leading to mid-winter. It feels as if something has died as another academic conveyor-belt year begins. Those lyrics are about trying to remember in the full knowledge that your effort will be in vain because the kind of September the writer was thinking of has already slipped away. Besides, what should we "follow"?

Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you

It's late September and I really should be back at school

I know I keep you amused but I feel I'm being used

Oh Maggie I couldn't have tried any more

(lyrics by Rod Stewart)

8 comments:

  1. Ba de ya - say do you remember
    Ba de ya - dancing in september
    Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day

    FoX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:35 pm

    Thanks, for that articfox, that was the song I was thinking about ... but my sister and I always sing "Bonio! Give the dog a biscuit!" for some reason ... neither of us has a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So follow me follow
    Down to the hollow
    And there let us wallow
    in glorious mud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mess - Always happy to oblige - that's me!!

    ;)

    FoX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funnily enough, I always think of September as a time of new beginnings, much more so than New Year, and I've always blamed spending too much time being educated for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with M&M on the new beginnings thing, but I also have sense of mourning when the children did/do go back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:05 pm

    Many years ago in a publication connected with the Dalesman, this poem was printed in it, sadly after, divorce, deaths etc. I could not find it, it really used to be my party piece, and of course as an English Teacher in a Barnsley Secondary School you can imaging it went down a treat. Now I can be back on form, thanks and hope its not too long a winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:08 pm

    Some teacher I turned out to be the word is imagine! Not Imaging!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits